In this 7-day certificate course, learn Ayurveda's principles of six tastes and three constitutions to build recipes for restoring health and balance. Theory and hands-on practice learning cooking, spices, and herbs. Taught by an experienced Ayurvedic practitioner who understands food as medicine. This course is part of a series of modules offered by the Sivananda Yoga Vedanta Organization in collaboration with Acharya David Frawley (Vamadeva). The course manuals are derived from the correspondence courses of the American Institute of Vedic Studies. The aim is to give everyone a thorough foundational knowledge of how Ayurveda helps apply Food as Medicine.
Topics of study:
- The Science of the Five Elements/Six Tastes, Rasa-Virya-Vipak-Prabhava
- The Three Gunas
- The Biological Humors of Vata, Pitta and Kapha
- The Twenty Attributes
- Agni (digestive fire) / Ama and its four states
- Dietary Therapy, principles, outline of Ayurvedic Diet, Food Lists per Constitution; Food List and Food Type Analysis – Fruit and Vegetables
- Grains, Beans, Seeds and Nuts, Dairy Products, Animal Products
- Oils, Condiments and Spices
- Herbs for Digestion and Elimination
12–2pm...................Theory Talk with Bharata
3-6pm......................Cooking with Bharata
This is a thorough, foundational course for students based on the books and distance learning programs of David Frawley. The course is designed for students of all kinds. No Ayurveda background required. It will be a good continuation of study for those who have taken the 10-day "Ayurveda and Yoga Wellness Counselor Certification Course."
- Comprehensive manual issued - with recipes
- Sivananda Yoga Cookbook
- Sivananda Home Yoga Companion
Upon successful completion of the course, you will receive a 50-hour co-certification signed by the Sivananda Ashram Yoga Farm and the American Institute of Vedic Studies (AIVS).
Arrival and Departure
Arrival: The course will begin at 7pm on the first day with Orientation followed by Satsang
Departure: The course will end at 3pm on final day.
We encourage you to arrive by 4pm on Day 1, making the most out of the afternoon by joining us for the Asana class and dinner. You are always welcome and encouraged to extend your stay to any length before or after the course. Please indicate your desired arrival and departure dates on your registration form (click 'register' below).
- Sivananda Ashram Yoga provided a tranquil sanctuary reprieve from my human everyday life and let me live a transformative spiritual experience without distraction. The Ayurvedic Cooking Workshop led by Bharata exposed me to the necessary elements to remember that “food is medicine” and there are specifics in the diet that can enhance growth and vibrancy for living in love! - Michele Spencer, Elk Grove CA, Dec 15, 2013
- I learned all the things I needed to know about how to make the food I cook every day so much more satisfying and agreeable. The class was easy to understand and I got to ask all my questions. - Dharma Deva, Ester CA, Dec 12,2013
- This was an amazing experience and I can’t wait to return! Bharata is an amazing teacher and I’m excited to try the Ayurvedic cooking and principles. - Melanie Carvalho, East Palo Alto, 02-16-2014
To Register for this course click the "Register" Button.
◻ STEP 1 - CREATE ONLINE USER ID AND PASSWORD
◻ STEP 2 - FILL OUT ADDITIONAL QUESTIONS
◻ STEP 3 - WILL ANYBODY JOIN YOU?
◻ STEP 4 - CHOOSE ACCOMMODATION OPTION
◻ STEP 5 - MAKE DEPOSIT AND PAY ONLINE WITH PAYPAL OR CREDIT CARD
Accommodation Prices and Photos
- Dorm: $65/night per person
- Double: $85/night per person
- Single: $130/night
- Double: $120/night per person
- Single: $170/night
Deluxe Shanti Cabins
- Triple: $120/night per person
- Double: $160/night per person
- Single: $240/night
- Family of two: $280/night per family
- Family of three: $320/night per family
Bharata Surya (Javier Lopez) is a Sivananda Yoga Teacher and a certified Ayurveda Practitioner, Counselor, Pancha Karma specialist and Marma therapist trained in the US and India. For the last 15 years he has led private practices and set up Ayurvedic clinics in different parts of the US and abroad, conducting multiple workshops and programs and designed protocols on diet, herbology, lifestyle management therapies, yoga/ayurvedic cleansings and juice fastings. As lead chef at the Yoga Farm Ashram, Bharata stresses the importance of healing the body and mind through food. Besides offering Ayurveda consultations, he teaches weekend and full 7-day certified ayurvedic vegetarian cooking courses. Bharata is the author of a forthcoming cookbook on ayurvedic recipes and healing foods.