Sadhana Intensive is a two-week program devised by Swami Vishnudevananda based on his own hatha yoga sadhana in the Himalayas. He said that six months of this intensive practice gave him the energy to carry out his mission of spreading the teachings of yoga in the West for next 40 years.
This course is based on individual self-practice divided into two or three sessions per day. The emphasis is on intense and prolonged pranayama. Students work towards eight hours of hatha yoga per day which is balanced by the study of classical scriptures.
The course demands a high level of self-discipline and students are guided according to individual needs. Students are expected to remain within the ashram premises throughout the course with no free days, no access to telephone or email and a strict sattvic diet (salt, spice, tea and sugar free).
The highly controlled environment is vital for this type of practice.
The course requires some preparation from the student. Interested students are advised to prepare by following a regular daily hatha yoga practice and a sattvic lifestyle. Sound physical and mental health is a pre-requisite.
Sadhana Intensive affords a unique opportunity to extend the limits of our capabilities, strengthen our stamina and develop self-confidence with long lasting effects.
- - Explanation and practice of advanced pranayama, bandhas (locks) and mudras (seals).
- - Daily self practice of asana.
- - Practice of shat kriyas (cleansing techniques).
- - Meditation and chanting.
- - Keeping spiritual diary.
- - Mouna (at certain times of the day) to conserve the vital energy
- Study of:
- - "Viveka Chudamani" by Sankaracharya A standard text on Vedanta philosophy which describes the practical methods towards realizing the Self and the necessary preparations for it.
- - "Hatha Yoga Pradipika" by Yogi Swatmarama with commentary by Swami Vishnudevananda. This classical text on Hatha Yoga explains in detail asanas, pranayama, Mudras, Bandhas and the process of awakening the Kundalini.
- - "Srimad Bhagavatam" by Vyasa Maharishi is one of the most important works on Bhakti Yoga. Listening to these stories fills the mind with universal love and opens the heart, which is the key to experiencing the deepest levels of Hatha Yoga and for the practice of Bhakti yoga.
- Sadhana Intensive course manual (supplied)
The daily schedule includes:
- - Practice of kriyas.
- - Morning and evening satsang with meditation and chanting.
- - Two or three practice sessions of asana and advanced pranayama incorporating bandhas and mudras.
- - Study of Hatha Yoga Pradipika / Viveka Chudamani / Srimad Bhagavatam.
- - Morning almond milk drink, brunch and dinner.
- - Participation in entire daily schedule is mandatory. The course director may change the schedule according to the need of the students.
Sadhana Intensive courses are open only to Sivananda Teachers Training Course (TTC) graduates. Good physical and mental health as well as a high degree of self-motivation are required due to the very intensive nature of the course.
An internationally recognized certificate from the International Sivananda Yoga Vedanta Centre organization (ISYVC) is awarded on completion of the course.
Arrival and Departure
Arrival: The course will begin on the first Date with Ashram Orientation at 7pm followed by Satsang at 8pm.
Departure: The course will finish on the final date at 1pm or after the final workshop.
We encourage you to arrive by 4pm on the first Day making the most out of the afternoon by joining us for the Asana class and dinner. You are always welcome and encouraged to extend your stay to any length before or after the course. Please indicate your desired arrival and departure dates on your registration form.
What to Bring
Other: slip on shoes, loose comfortable clothing, writing materials, meditation shawl or blanket, yoga mat, flashlight. All books and materials are available in our boutique.
To Register for this course click the "Register" Button.
◻ STEP 1 - CREATE ONLINE USER ID AND PASSWORD
◻ STEP 2 - FILL OUT ADDITIONAL QUESTIONS
◻ STEP 3 - WILL ANYBODY JOIN YOU?
◻ STEP 4 - CHOOSE ACCOMMODATION OPTION
◻ STEP 5 - MAKE DEPOSIT AND PAY ONLINE WITH PAYPAL OR CREDIT CARD
A confirmation email will be sent to you. In case of cancellation a credit note will be issued. Refund is only given with 48 hours notice and the deposit is non-refundable.
Accommodation Prices and Photos
Bring Your Own Tent: $1100
Ashram Tent: $1225
Om Cabin Double: $1375
Om Cabin Single: $1750
Siva Cabin Single: $2000
Deluxe Shanti Cabin Single: $2400
Swami Pranavananda took the vow of Sannyas in 1995. He is a gifted teacher who is the main hatha yoga teacher at the ashram and teaches the Anatomy and Physiology section of our Teachers Training Course. He co-directed the San Francisco Center for five years. A talented musician, he enjoys leading kirtan and bhajan chanting sessions during satsang.
Swami Adi Parashaktiananda
Swami Adi Parashaktiananda is a dedicated Sadhak and Hatha Yoga practitioner and teacher, graduated from Sivananda Teachers Training Course in 2007 at the Sivananda Ashram Yoga Farm in Grass Valley, CA. He took the first monastic vow from Sivananda lineage in 2011. He has been traveling yearly to Vietnam as Swami Sitaramananda's assistant and has been teaching the Hatha Yoga classes for the Teachers Training Course. He has also been traveling to Chengdu, China to help teach the Teachers Training Course there. He also teaches a 7-day Hatha Yoga Sadhana course and the 14-day Sivananda Sadhana Intensive course, whose emphasis is on individual practice of pranayama. He took sannyas vows in 2017 and received the name Swami Adi Parasahktiananda.