This five-day Yogic Meditation course introduces the basic guidelines and conditions for classical yogic meditation. There will be discussion on Why meditate? and the necessity to go to the transcendental level of existence to find true peace and happiness. Participants will study the mechanics of the mind and how to calm the mind and turn inward for Self-awareness. Learn to withdraw the senses and to take distance from the sensual world of objects which create desires, discontentment and restlessness in an endless pursuit of external happiness. Learn techniques to improve concentration and reduce distractions for success in all endeavors in life. Learn relationship between posture, prana and thoughts and how to transition between the 5 states of mind. The goal is peace of mind. You will be introduced to the science of mantra healing using sacred sounds to nurture positive energy and connect with one’s own consciousness. You will practice yoga postures, yoga breathing and meditation twice per day, participate in daily Kirtan chanting sessions.
List of Topics
- The twelve basic steady postures and meditative postures
- Flexibility of spine
- Increased flow of prana through asana practice
- Balancing breath to calm the mind and emotions
- Increase prana to control the mind
- Channel prana inward and upward
- Yamas: Ahimsa, Satya, Brahmacharya, Asteya, Aparigraha
- Niyamas: Saucha, Santosha, Tapas, Swadhyaya, Iswara-pranidhana
- How to reduce vrittis, Concentration
- Mechanics of the Mind
- How to see the truth beyond our mental projections
- Discussion on subconscious samskaras, karma and thought patterns
Daily Course Schedule
• 6:00am Satsang (Meditation, chanting, lecture)
• 8:00 - 10:00am Yoga Asana and Pranayama Class
• 10:00am Brunch
• 10:45am Karma Yoga
• 12:00 - 1:00pm Self-study and Personal Meditation Practice
• 1:00 - 2:30pm Meditation Workshop
• 4:00pm Yoga Asana and Pranayama Practice
• 6:00pm Dinner
• 8:00pm Satsang (Meditation, chanting, lecture)
Arrival and Departure
Arrival: The course will begin at 7pm with Orientation followed by Satsang on the first day,
Departure: The course will end at 3pm on final day.
We encourage you to arrive by 4pm on Day 1, making the most out of the afternoon by joining us for the Asana class and dinner. You are always welcome and encouraged to extend your stay to any length before or after the course. Please indicate your desired arrival and departure dates on your registration form (click 'register' below).
Suggested Course Material
• Essentials of Yoga Practice and Philosophy, Swami Sitaramananda
• Thought Power, Swami Sivananda
• Bliss Divine, Swami Sivananda
• Raja Yoga, Swami Sivananada
• Meditation and Mantras, Swami Vishnudevananda
All books and materials are available in our boutique.
What to Bring
Slip on shoes, loose comfortable clothing, writing materials, meditation shawl or blanket, yoga mat, flashlight.
To Register for this course click the "Register" Button.
◻ STEP 1 - CREATE ONLINE USER ID AND PASSWORD
◻ STEP 2 - FILL OUT ADDITIONAL QUESTIONS
◻ STEP 3 - WILL ANYBODY JOIN YOU?
◻ STEP 4 - CHOOSE ACCOMMODATION OPTION
◻ STEP 5 - MAKE DEPOSIT AND PAY ONLINE WITH PAYPAL OR CREDIT CARD
Accommodation Prices and Photos
- Dorm: $65/night per person
- Double: $85/night per person
- Single: $130/night
- Double: $120/night per person
- Single: $170/night
Deluxe Shanti Cabins
- Triple: $120/night per person
- Double: $160/night per person
- Single: $240/night
- Family of two: $280/night per family
- Family of three: $320/night per family
Accommodation Discounts: Seniors (60+) 10% & Students 10%
Tara Durga Devi
Tara Durga Devi is a Senior Teacher and comes regularly to teach and study at the ashram. She has been teaching yoga and meditation since 1976 and was co-founder and owner of The Yoga Center, an affiliated Sivananda Yoga center in Stockton, CA. She is a certified Yoga Therapist and is a graduate of the Sivananda Yoga Teachers Training Course (TTC) and Advanced Yoga Teachers Training Course (ATTC). Tara Durga Devi is one of the rare yoga teachers trained by Swami Vishnudevananda, with whom she took TTC in 1976.