Beginners Yoga Course, Level 1
September 13 - 18, 2020
This week is ideal for beginners, or those new to Sivananda Yoga. This course gives you the full yogic experience, progressively introducing yoga asanas, breathing exercises, meditation, mantra chanting and yoga philosophy and it will cover the 5 points of Yoga. You will be immersed in the daily routine of yoga and will experience wholesome vegetarian meals. You will leave rested and refreshed with the basic knowledge of how to continue to practice at home.
– Step by step guide to the basic 12 postures, explanation of benefits of the postures
– What is classical yoga? Intro to the tradition of lineage of the yoga masters
– What is the purpose and what are the methods of classical yoga?
– Basic philosophy about happiness, health, life, freedom
– Difference between yoga asana and physical exercises
– Yogic techniques of breathing
– Vegetarianism-the how and why
– Relaxation and stress management
– Positive thinking
– Basic technique of meditation
– The yogic daily routine
6-8am Satsang: Silent meditation, chanting and lecture
8-10am Beginners Yoga Class
11am Karma Yoga
1-3pm Beginners Workshop
3-4pm Free Time and Nature walks
4-6pm Open Yoga Class
7-8pm Free Time
8-10pm Satsang: meditation, chanting and lecture
There are no prerequisites other than a sincere desire to learn classical yoga.
I want to thank you all for this amazing experience. I feel truly blessed to have spent the week here immersed into your way of living. The love and authenticity I’ve seen and felt here has been uncanny. You all have truly opened my eye in ways that is hard to describe with words. – Hollie, 2018
This place is a magical getaway from the stress of everyday life. I don’t have a lot experience with yoga besides the occasional class at my local 24 hour fitness so this proved to be a very immersive experience. There’s a lot of focus on proper breathing, meditation as well as basic yoga. The class leads were extremely helpful, funny and answered any questions that we had. – Oleg, 2016
- Informational page on our Beginners Yoga Courses
- Read more about the 5 points of yoga from our teachings section.
- Listen to a podcast of our 90-minute Sivananda Yoga All Levels Asana and Pranayama Class
- Blog category on 4 paths of yoga with many blog posts
- Blog post on the science of relaxation