Sivananda Ashram Yoga Farm, Grass Valley, CA
CA-BATCH 1: Saturday, October 21–Sunday, November 5, 2017
CA-BATCH 2: Friday, October 18–Saturday, November 2, 2019
Yoga and the Mind, Psychology and Mental Health
- Yoga philosophy on consciousness and the Self
- Yoga psychology - (Raja Yoga) and meditation
- The mind and its mechanics
- Five modes of mind and concentration
- Three levels of mind and evolution of consciousness
- Inborn karmic tendencies and subconscious
- Karma, dharma and relationships
- Emotional healing: anger, fears, anxiety, depression, desire, addiction, grief, attachment, stress resilience
- Guidelines for mental health
- Positive thinking techniques according to the four classical paths of Yoga
- Purification: going to the root cause of suffering
- Yoga effects on specific conditions
Foundations and Yoga Philosophy
Yoga Foundations for Stress Reduction and Health
Taught by Swami Sitaramananda
- Study and practical application of the Five Points of Holistic Yoga for Integral Health and classical Four Paths of Yoga for Health and Well-being to form the foundation of all future teaching within the program. Included will be an overview of the course schedule, plus integration of teaching flow, assignments, grading and details of the practicum.
Yoga and the Mind
Taught by Swami Sitaramananda
- Yoga Health Educator students will gain practical understanding of the body-mind relationship through the application of specific Hatha Yoga and Raja Yoga techniques. Yoga Health Educator students learn how to train others to recognize the mind’s karmic tendencies and negative behaviors; and further learn how to apply Yoga practices and techniques in response to those tendencies and behaviors to reduce stress and anxiety.
Psychology and Mental Health
Conventional and Alternative Interventions
Taught by Dr. Fred Luskin and Swami Sitaramananda
- Raja Yoga is the royal path of mind control and meditation. Yoga Health Educator students learn to apply the classical teachings of the Raja Yoga Sutras in the context of daily life, gain understanding of the workings of the mind, and learn techniques to systematically identify the causes of suffering, design methods and techniques to alleviate suffering; learn methods to help reduce distractions and increase concentration and peace of mind; learn methods to overcome bad habits and addictions by changing existing mental patterns.
Psychological and Health Benefits
Taught by Swami Dharmananda
- Yoga Health Educator students delve deeper into the health benefits of practicing yoga postures—physical, psychological, and energetic—learning to apply asana techniques to improve specific systems of the body. Concentration techniques will be included.
Gentle Yoga Training
Adapting Yoga Techniques to the Needs of the Individual
Taught by Tara Durga Devi
- Gentle Yoga gives Yoga Health Educator students the necessary training and skills to adapt and modify asanas as needed—due to age, weight, illness, injury or limited flexibility. Workshops will include discussions on the philosophy and psychology of Gentle Yoga and aging, combined with practical hands-on instruction in the application of Yoga techniques to address the special needs of the individual; the philosophy and psychology of Gentle Yoga; experiences of Gentle Yoga; how to work with varied populations, and common ailments associated with back pain, joint pain, bone strength, balance and more.