Meditation Weekend Retreat
with Swami Dharmananda
March 8 - 10, 2019
This weekend Meditation retreat introduces the basic guidelines and conditions for classical yogic meditation. There will be discussion on Why meditate? and the necessity to go to the transcendental level of existence to find true peace and happiness.
Participants will study the mechanics of the mind and how to calm the mind and turn inward for Self-awareness. Learn to withdraw the senses and to take distance from the sensual world of objects which create desires, discontentment and restlessness in an endless pursuit of external happiness.
Learn techniques to improve concentration and reduce distractions for success in all endeavors in life. Learn relationship between posture, prana and thoughts and how to transition between the 5 states of mind. The goal is peace of mind.
You will be introduced to the science of mantra healing using sacred sounds to nurture positive energy and connect with one’s own consciousness. You will practice yoga postures, yoga breathing and meditation twice per day, participate in daily Kirtan chanting sessions.
List of Topics
- The twelve basic steady postures and meditative postures
- Flexibility of spine
- Increased flow of prana through asana practice
- Balancing breath to calm the mind and emotions
- Increase prana to control the mind
- Channel prana inward and upward
- Yamas: Ahimsa, Satya, Brahmacharya, Asteya, Aparigraha
- Niyamas: Saucha, Santosha, Tapas, Swadhyaya, Iswara-pranidhana
- How to reduce vrittis, Concentration
- Mechanics of the Mind
- How to see the truth beyond our mental projections
- Discussion on subconscious samskaras, karma and thought patterns
Daily Course Schedule
• 6:00am Satsang (Meditation, chanting, lecture)
• 8:00 – 10:00am Yoga Asana and Pranayama Class
• 10:00am Brunch
• 10:45am Karma Yoga
• 12:00 – 1:00pm Self-study and Personal Meditation Practice
• 1:00 – 2:30pm Meditation Workshop
• 4:00pm Yoga Asana and Pranayama Practice
• 6:00pm Dinner
• 8:00pm Satsang (Meditation, chanting, lecture)