Karma Yoga and Seva-study Program
Karma Yoga and Seva-study Program
Karma Yoga and Seva-study Program
Do you want to add meaning to your life?
Seva Study is a residential program in which spiritual volunteers become fully immersed in the ashram for a minimum of one month. The idea of selfless service (seva) is an important concept in all yogic traditions.
Because the Self is perceived as being the other, serving other people is considered an essential devotional practice to open the heart and to expand your idea of your self. Indeed, Karma yoga is the foundation of all yoga paths.
Therefore, this residential program is designed following that spiritual formula of oneness. As a matter of fact, you will add meaning to your life by this practice selfless service.
At the same time, the seva-study karma yogi will put into practice the yogic teachings of concentration and focus in action. Furthermore, the participant will learn to sublimate the emotions and practice the teachings of Swami Sivananda “adapt, adjust, accommodate”
Service is love in expression.
What is Karma Yoga?
Elevate your self by elevating others
“Work done for the individual good binds; work done for the common good releases” – Swami Sivananda
“You can elevate others only if you have elevated yourself. A prisoner cannot liberate other prisoners.” – Swami Sivananda
Keys for Karma Yoga
- Right attitude: Work as worship – Have the attitude of offering, humility, and selflessness
- Right motive: It’s not what you do that counts but your real motive behind.
- Do your duty according to your particular situation
- Do your best: You should not hold back from fear of effort required or from fear of criticism.
- Give up results: You are not the doer. You are only the instrument. Detachment from results means freedom.
- Serve God and the Self in All. Love thy neighbor as thyself.
- Follow the discipline of the job. Every work experience has something to teach you.
- Qualifications of a karma yogi: Free from anger, egoism, greed. Should be generous, amiable, loving, sociable nature, humble, free from hatred, harshness, judgement
Benefits of Practicing Karma Yoga
- Develop and learn new skills
- Help personality growth and fulfillment
- Thin out the ego. Remove selfishness
- Overcome likes and dislikes
- Eliminate prejudices
- Purify the heart, Feel oneness
- Become more loving
- Have a more flexible mind and tolerant attitude
- Broaden your outlook on life
- Spiritualize your activities
Develop Yourself through Karma Yoga Life
Be Supported by the Community
Practicing in a dedicated group can help overcome isolation and give you support to do daily practice of yoga. You will be empowered by being part of a team of dedicated volunteers. Also, you will be able to channel your energy by serving an international mission of peace. Furthermore, you will expand your horizons.
Work without stress in Nature
This divine life is set in the clean fresh air and beauty of the foothills of the Sierra Nevada mountains. In this beautiful environment, you will discover the secret of success: how activities and work in the right environment with the right attitude are not leading to stress.
The mind will be delighted and soothed contemplating the ashram’s land that is populated by oaks and pines, various shrubs, flowers, berry bushes, and many animals. Furthermore, you will feel at awe in witnessing the sunset and getting lost in the starry sky. Working with others is more enjoyable when nobody has a personal motive.
Daily be inspired to be better
Sadhana (spiritual practice) is built in and mandatory. Indeed it is helpful to be coached and guided in practice and in work. This life gives you easy access to spiritual counseling and guidance. You are not alone to fend for yourself.
Be Part of a Live Tradition
You will feel daily connected to the sacred teaching of the gurus and feel empowered in following their footsteps. In fact, the ashram schedule and ways of functioning are passed on by the disciples of the living lineage. What is being taught in books will be alive in front of you. Furthermore you will feel the palpable love and support of the guru through daily interactions and happenings.
Be Part of the Peace Mission of the Founder
Swami Vishnudevananda opened his network of ashrams and centers to enable individuals to learn the art of true peace. Inner peace leads to outer peace. Inner peace needs to be cultivated in daily life through self-discipline and controlling the mind. Be inspired to be part of this network of peace loving and dynamic volunteers knowing that together we are making the world a better place.
“Be the change that you want to see in the world” – Mahatma Gandhi
Head, Heart, and Hands Together
Karma yoga life is the only way to apply integrally the 4 paths of yoga (karma yoga, bhakti yoga, raja yoga, jnana yoga) in daily life. The head, the heart, and the hands have to pull together to be productive while feeling genuinely happy in the soul. This is a marvelous way of holistic life leading to well-rounded development.
- Guided morning and evening Satsang (meditation, chanting, lecture)
- Staff meeting
- 2 hr yoga class
- 2 nutritious vegetarian meals
- Selfless service: seva-study : 4-5 hours
- Temp-staff: 6-8 hours
- Personal time and relaxation
- Personal study
- Staff Svadyahya (weekly meeting with senior staff and swamis)
- Applicants must be willing to follow the guidance from senior staff members regarding karma yoga duties and spiritual practice
- Attendance at the morning and evening meditation and one yoga class daily is mandatory.
- Alcohol, tobacco, meat, fish, eggs, coffee and drugs are prohibited on the premises.
- October – April: dormitory room is recommended
- May – September: tenting is recommended, please bring your own tent, airbed and sleeping bag.
Why Not You?
This program is a modern application of the traditional gurukula system where yoga is learned in daily life. The whole international Sivananda organization is based on the principle of karma yoga. Please choose your option and apply
1 Month Seva-study Program
- Phone interview required
- one month minimum to begin with
- First week is on a trial basis
- Can be extended to 3 months
- Program starts on 1st or 15th of month
- $700/tent or $900/dorm
- Partial scholarships available on case to case basis
- Four to five hours a day of service
- Daily guidance by teacher
- Self-study time will be included
3 to 6 months or 1 year
Temp-staff Karma Yogi Program
- Must be TTC Graduate or have completed one month of seva-study
- Minimum commitment of 3 months
- Can be extended to 1 year
- $120 / month for first 3 months
- Must be ready to serve full-time
- Sadhana is a must
- Spiritual Diary is to be submitted
- Staff Meeting Daily
Short-term Karma Yoga
- Must be recommended by a yoga teacher
- Must commit to days and times in advance
- Repeat visits are encouraged
- Minimum commitment of 3 – 7 days
- Can be residential or non-residential
- Cost is 1/2 guest price
- 1/2 day service
- All rules apply
NOTE: A Call to Builders, Gardeners and Maintenance People- the Sivananda Ashram Yoga Farm seeks people interested in yoga who have practical skills in construction, general maintenance, gardening and landscaping for the ashram’s upkeep. Sivananda Yoga teachers staying longer than 3 months has also the possibility of assisting and teaching asana classes.