Gaining Self Awareness
by Swami Sitaramananda
Yoga Farm Director
Swami Sitaramananda is a senior disciple of Swami Vishnudevananda and acharya of the US West Coast centers and Ashram. Swamiji is also the acharya of the Sivananda mission in Asia, especially in Vietnam, where she hails from.
Why is Self awareness important?
Self Awareness Tools
- You are not alone
- No more blame, guilt, anger, resentment, despair, rejection, self-pity or self-victimization
- Practice gratitude
- Do not accept the imperfect self, the ego, the idea of who we are
- Acceptance that on another level, we are perfect and untouched by all of what is happening
- There is peace and contentment by accepting everything and loving everything
- not reject anything
- Do not thinking that something is better
- Limit the running towards and away from anything
- Breathe into pain, physical or mental
- Dissolve the pain in acceptance
- Stay calm in all conditions
- Everything is perfect as it is
- Adopt a policy of not complaining
- Adopt a smiling attitude, cooperation, flexibility
- Let go of control
- Let go of fears (that come from attachment)
- Let go of anxieties
Self awareness skills
- Faith in one’s capacity of healing
- Faith in God or Nature the healer
- Faith in the doctor or therapists
- Increase trust in oneself and others
- Avoid excessive suspicion and anxiety
- Eat with faith and confidence that the food is nourishing
- Pray before eating
- Bless the food and the cooks
- Keep an object/image that reminds yourself of the Indweller
- Repeat mantra with faith
- Read spiritual scriptures and have faith in the teaching and in the teachers
- Dare to do things are not in your comfort zone, such as trying a new posture, a new endeavor, and having faith it will workout
Awareness of Self
- Detect patterns of attachments
- Excessive attachments to something external shows lack of self love
- Take time for yourself
- Enjoy life
- Practice self affirmations and also learn to appreciate others
- Avoid comparing yourself to others
- Avoid wasting energy on something you can not change
- Be ready to change something that needs to be changed, and know the difference
Self awareness brings responsibility. Take the necessary steps either by taking the medicine, do the exercise, eat properly, meditate, but with the idea that you are performing duty to the body as a temple and not with the idea of the outcome.
Self awareness goes beyond death and disease. The immortal Self, the Atman is diseaseless, deathless, birthless. It is only the karmas that are playing out in the individual life. Once the karmas are understood, the individual becomes ready for anything and finds peace.
© Swami Sitaramananda 2018 – No part of this article may be reproduced in any form without the written permission of the author.
Yoga Teacher Training Course
Check out our 200-hour Yoga Alliance certified Yoga Teacher Training Courses offered twice a year in California, 3x in Vietnam, once in China and once in Japan.
Choose from upcoming courses for beginners and intermediate level students.
Rejuvinate your body and mind. Experience and progress with daily Yoga classes. Learn the 12 basic asanas and pranayama. Enjoy daily meditation, chanting, and organic vegetarian meals.
Rejuvenate Your Being
A Yoga vacation is an ideal getaway to change perspective towards one’s life and become healthier, more relaxed and connected.
Swami Sita your words always bring calm, graditude and contentment. Thank you.
I deeply appreciate these wonderful reminders! The new format of the website looks wonderful also.
Dear Swami, Thank you for articulating these helpful suggestions! Words to live by <3